Sunday, January 27, 2008

A superfluity of naughtiness

Isn't that a great phrase? "superfluity of naughtiness." I'm borrowing mom's King James Bible today and ran across that phrase in the book of James. Fantastic phrase, if you ask me! I suspect it's language like that that keeps the King James translation in use today. The verse is talking about things we're supposed to put aside as followers of Jesus. In more contemporary English it says "putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls." It was more striking to me, however, in the KJV today because when I was little, the reason I decided to become a christian in the first place was because I knew I was "naughty"--a totally sneaky little rascal--and I knew it didn't please God. I was so impressed that he loved me anyway, and had gone out of his way for me. Sometimes I think that I had a better appreciation then than I do now for just how much I need God's forgiveness--I'm still a rascal, but a lot better at justifying it now. :) So it was a good reminder today that whether 4 years old or 22 years old, there's no room for a superfluity of naughtiness in the life of someone who is set on following Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment