Hi! I promise there's a blog entry coming soon--I've been working on it in my head all week and just haven't had two spare hours to write it. Here's the quick and dirty version of what's been going on:
1) I Finished and turned in one of my major homework assignments due over the break (if you ever want to know anything about the Basel Mission, just ask...). Stayed up until 4:30 am Sunday night/Monday to get it done, but it wasn't so bad. Brian was up late looking at muscle cars on the Internet (trying to convince me to go half on a Duster, in fact), we were listening to "The Battle of New Orleans," ("In 1814 we tooka little trip, along with colonel Jackson down the mighty missassip") and I was wearing my fight club shirt that I got at the Brad Paisley concert last year. It says "pain is just weakness leaving the body" on the back, which I thought was appropriate for an all-nighter on the homework. Sleep is for wimps, right?
2) Why did I have to stay up so late, you might ask!? Well, I deployed a number of procrastination techniques earlier in the week, including but not limited to running, petting my cat, driving 7 miles for a cup of coffee, and not least, watching the 5.5 hour BBC pride and prejudice with Anne and my mom. Such a splendid movie! :)Well-worth staying up all night to make up for it.
3) I might get to help out with a George Fox University juniors abroad trip to South Africa this spring. Paul Otto is co-leading the trip with another guy, and they think it might be good to have a girl leader along too, and of course, I would get credit in my own program for the project since it directly relates to my study area.
4) I bought a new laptop bag, which you will find a picture of below. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet, though. It's red, and a faux alligator fabric. I like it, but one can't be too careful when selecting a bag--I have to really be comfortable being seen with it every day in public! So, to help me determine my own feelings on the matter, I am soliciting your input. On the right hand side of the blog, you'll find two polls: one for men, and one for women. The two separate polls will allow me to adjust the results to account for gender confounding. So remember--this is for posterity, so be honest and vote on your own gender's poll.
Brian was kind enough to model the bag:
5) Mom is still feeling good. She hasn't started radiation yet, but she will soon. Thanks for your prayers for her and for us. Pray that she and dad won't be anxious about her radiation, and that she'll have a good sense for how much rest needs (and will actually take time to rest).
6) I'm starting to keep an eye out for a cheaper place to rent in Basel starting either in the summer or the fall. If anyone knows anyone who might like to have a talkative american renter or roommate move in, let me know!!
That's all for now!