Thursday, March 1, 2012

Be gone, Winter!

Carnival came to Basel this week, and for three days the city was packed full with marching bands, costumed piccolo pipers, and tractor-drawn floats. A Waggi threw me a rose, and I was quite flattered! Other girls had whole bundles of roses from the parades, but this one Waggi (see first picture) made such a point that he intended the rose for me (attaching it to a clementine so it would reach me back in the crowd, motioning for everyone else to move, waving his hands dismissively at people in front of me who thought he was talking to them, acting exasperated when I thought he wanted me to move too, waiting for me to put down what I was holding so I could catch it...I mean, that's effort!!), it made my day and I couldn't have been happier with just one!











But what's Fasnacht without the din? Imagine hearing this for most of 72 hours, including at 4:30 am, and you'll know what my week has been like.

No comments:

Post a Comment