Wednesday, October 17, 2007

If you want to be happy in a million ways...

Oh! There’s no place like home for the holidays,
‘Cause no matter how far away you roam,
If you wanna be happy in a million ways,
For the holidays you can’t beat home sweet home!

I bought tickets home for Christmas!!! (Grandpa, this leaves you 2 months, i.e. plenty of time, to lock the doors and turn out the lights before I get there). I'm supposed to arrive in Portland Christmas Eve, and I will stay until February 13. So...now I am campaigning for a job. Feel free to get the word out that I am looking for work for the month of January/first week of February, and I will take anything legal and ethical that pays--Dollars, Euros, Swiss Francs, doesn't matter. So if you know of anything, or if you think you might need a house sitter, dog/cat/baby/turtle sitter, mover, garage sale clerk, cleaning girl, research assistant, writer, painter (like for a room, not a picture), Christmas un-decorator, errand runner, old person companion, cook, art teacher, tutor, or a tight rope walker, let me know. I cant actually tight rope walk just yet, but I have a couple months, and I urgently need some work for January. I'm sure I could learn. Ok?? That's just a little FYI for you all. I am VERY excited to be coming home. I like Basel and in general I am still having a wonderful time, but really, Basel ain't got nothin' on Forest Grove.

You will also be pleased to know that I am now almost officially a resident of Switzerland. Not yet, but close. Monday Daniel and I drove 5 hours to Lyon to get my visa, and after several wrong turns and missed exits, and navigating by a combination of the sun, a confusing map, the alps, and a certain McDonald's restaurant, we finally got there. Oh, but first, we were late by that time, so I said, ok, I'm pretty sure the consulate is up this road a couple blocks. I'll hop out. You park, or drive around, and we will call each other. Good plan. I hurried up the block, but I couldn't find the consulate anywhere. I couldn't even find the road it was supposed to be on!! And THEN I discovered my phone was out of money and I couldn't call Daniel or the consulate. There is nothing like being late (the consulate had already closed), separated from your party and lost in a foreign country with no phone. But we managed, and I got my visa and we drove home. This week after I register with the city I can go open a Swiss bank account, which, along with the chocolate, is of course the REAL reason I came.

I have to go to class here momentarily, so ta ta. Have a great day, and don't forget to send any job leads my way. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steph,
    I work with your dad and mom at Gunderson. Well not directly but at the same place. Your dad has shared your adventure with me and I just wanted to let you know that I think you are amazing.
    I urge you to "catch your dreams" and enjoy all you can of Europe and the education you are attaining. I wish I had the drive you have when I was your age.
    I have four daughters and a son as well as almost 20 grandchildren and four great grandchildren. So far no one has had the drive you have but I am hoping....
    Any way just wanted to say hello and keep up the good works. By the way I too LOVE shoes and have way too many: some I've never worn....
    Take care, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, Shhhh! We aren't supposed to admit in public to owning shoes we've never worn!! =)

    Thanks for your note! Its nice to "meet" you. -steph

    ReplyDelete